The following are the four signature scholarships that the Office of Nationally Competitive Scholarships works most closely with. To learn more about each scholarship click the title below to be taken directly to the scholarship website. Appalachian has had successful student applicants to each of these awards and we have factuly and staff advisors who are familiar with these programs and application processes. Please schedule an appointment with our office to learn more or to discuss next steps in your application plan.
Critical Language Scholarship Awards
- Intensive summer overseas language and cultural institutes that are fully funded.
- A variety of majors are encouraged to apply. Undergraduate and Graduate Level.
- Current languages offered through CLS: Azerbaijani, Bangla, Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Punjabi, Swahili, Turkish, Urdu, Arabic, Persian, and Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, and Russian
Fulbright UK Summer Institute
- Undergraduate Students
- Three to four weeks of study and travel in the U.K.
- Have had no or very little study/travel experience outside of North America
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.7
- Have at least two years of undergraduate study remaining after the Institute finishes
Fulbright Student Program
- Funding to pursue international graduate study, research, or teaching English. Programs are worldwide!
- Benefits include airfare, room and board, a small stipend, and health insurance. Some countries include tuition coverage, language study, books,
- Must have an undergraduate degree, and can't yet hold a Ph.D at the time of application.
- GPA: 3.0
- Endorsement Required: YES
Gilman International Scholarship
- Up to $5,000 to study or intern abroad. Critical Need Languages supplemental award up to $3000.
- Be an undergraduate student and be receiving a Federal Pell Grant.
- GPA: 2.5
- Endorsement Required: YES
The four signature scholarships above are not an exhaustive list. In fact, they are a small snapshot of a wide network of externally funded scholarships that aim to support students in their academic, research, professional, and creative endeavors. Our office is happy to help with the scholarship application for any competitive awards you are applying to, but please note that our primary focus is on the eight signature scholarships listed above. To browse further scholarships opportunities you can check out the databases below or read through our other notable scholarships.
Fellowship and Scholarship Databases
- Arizona State University The Lorraine W. Frank Office of National Scholarships Advisement: Scholarship Database
- Baruch College Office of National & Prestigious Fellowships Advising: Fellowship Search
- Drexel University Pennoni Honors College: Finding Fellowships
- Florida State University Office of National Fellowships: Fellowship Search
- German Academic Exchange Services
- University of Illinois Graduate College Fellowship Finder
- UNC Chapel Hill Office of Distinguished Scholarships: Stive Database
Other Notable Awards
Below are other notable scholarships and fellowships that NCS can assist with. Be sure to read the scholarship webpages carefully and pay close attention to the elegability and the timeline for each scholarship and application.