Learning outcomes are measurable statements that articulate at the beginning what students should know, be able to do, or value as a result of taking a course or completing a program. Learning outcomes for the Nationally Competitive Scholarships Office will allow us to focus on the student development process rather than the product (scholarships) we offer or the outcome of winning an award. Articulating learning outcomes to students and stakeholders will help us make concerted efforts towards our vision. Having access to articulated learning outcomes will help students:
- Decide if this process is a good fit for their academic trajectory
- Identify what they need to do to be successful in the application process
- Take ownership of their progress
- Be mindful of what they are learning
- You will cultivate resilience and stamina by managing long term goals, following through on multifaceted application components, reading and responding carefully to directions, and strengthen time management skills.
- You will learn how to meet rigorous expectations and be receptive to critique.
- You will identify which academic, extracurricular, and life experiences have been most meaningful to cultivating your values and pursuits.
- You will be able to clearly articulate your future goals to a larger audience (i.e. graduate school plans, research goals, professional, creative, and personal aspirations)
- You will compose clear and persuasive essays that articulate your qualities and qualifications through the writing process.
- You will hone networking and communications skills by cultivating relationships with faculty and staff by requesting strong recommendations and participating in feedback sessions.
- Cultivate resilience, stamina, and time management skills by managing long term goals, following through on multifaceted application components, reading and responding carefully to application directions.
- Practice meeting rigorous expectations and being receptive to critique.
- Reflect on which academic, extracurricular, and life experiences have been most meaningful to cultivating your values and identity.
- Clearly articulate your future goals to a larger audience in a compelling way
- Improve your writing by producing clear, concise, and persuasive essays that articulate your qualities and qualifications.
- Refine your networking and communications skills by cultivating relationships with faculty, staff, and mentors and staff.
About Nationally Competitive Scholarships
Nationally Competitive Scholarships (NCS) works with the Appalachian community to recruit and support students for nationally competitive scholarships and fellowships, including those that support research, teaching and critical language learning. This is achieved with outreach, mentorship and advising throughout the entire application and selection process. NCS is committed to helping undergraduate and graduate students find ways to connect their Appalachian education to their future endeavors through scholarship opportunities. Learn more at ncs.appstate.edu.
Compiled and Written by Johnna Reisner
April 17th, 2023